Thursday 21 April 2016

NaPoWriMo! - Day 21

I've always liked the number 21. I'm not sure why. Anyway, that's besides the point. Hi again, and welcome back for another daily poem! Today's theme are fairy tales and myths, but you have to tell them from the POV of a minor character. So I looked up some Greek myths (being a fan of Greek mythology. Not being a fan of Jason.) and decided to choose the story of the minotaur, which I thought could make a great horror movie premise, but then, I'm not good at horror movies (I went to see the Boy once, and scared people with my giggles. In case you're wondering how that's possible, I happen to have a giggle that sounds like children in horror movies.) But that's beside the point, so I'm going to start the poem so that this long opening part doesn't go on even more tangents!



The Place Where No-one Returns

It's my turn,
To go to the place
Where no-one returns.

The white sailed ship
To foreign lands,
No-one knows what will happen.

I'll never see my family again.
Never see my home.
I guess this new place will be my home.

There's all sorts of rumours.
Of slavery, and of even worse.
They say there's a monster there.

A big monster, with sharp horns
That likes to eat kids like me.
These tales reel through my mind.

I don't want to get on that ship.
I don't want to be a slave.
And I don't want to die to a monster.

But there's no choice.
There's no way of stopping it.
This is what must be done.

Because it's my turn.
To go to the place.
Where no-one EVER returns.

No comments:

Post a Comment